Dental braces are a type of orthodontic treatment that makes use of a device to straighten and align teeth. They are typically made of metal, but can also be made from other materials. Braces work by exerting gentle pressure on the teeth, which slowly moves them into the correct position.
So how long do braces work? If you’re interested in getting more information about dental braces, we advise you to continue reading as we’re going to talk about this topic in today’s post.
Types Of Dental Braces
There are many types of braces to choose from:
- Metal Braces – This is the most common type of braces used by many people. As the name suggests, this type of brace is made of metal brackets and wires, which gently exert pressure on the teeth of the wearer.
Metal braces are durable and usually last for around 2 years.
- Ceramic Braces – This type of braces is made of clear or tooth-colored brackets and wires. They are less visible than metal braces, but they can be more fragile and may require more frequent adjustments.
Ceramic braces usually last for around 18 months
- Plastic Braces – This type of braces is made of clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth. Plastic braces are removable and need to be replaced every 2 weeks. They are not as effective as metal or ceramic braces and are usually only used for very mild cases of misalignment.
- Self-Ligating Braces – These are types of metal braces that do not require elastics or rubber bands to hold the device in place. Instead, they use a clip or lever system to attach the braces to the teeth. This makes them more comfortable to wear and also reduces the amount of time it takes for them to work.
- Lingual Braces – This dental brace is the type that is placed on the inside of the teeth to exert gentle pressure from the inside. This makes them almost invisible and eliminates the need for rubber bands or elastics.
How Long Will It Take For This Dental Device To Work
Most people require braces between 1 to 3 years. But how long will it take to work? This depends on a variety of factors, including the severity of misalignment, how well you follow your dentist’s instructions, and how fast your teeth are able to move into alignment.
However, for mild cases of misalignment, braces may only be needed for 6 months to a year. For more severe cases, the braces may need to be worn for 2 years or more.
You will also need to wear a retainer after you have had your braces removed. Retainers are usually made of metal or plastic and fit over the teeth. They help to keep the teeth in their new, correct position. You will need to wear your retainer for at least a few hours every day, and sometimes overnight, for several months or years after having your braces removed.
If you are considering dental braces, it is important to consult with a reputable dentist like the dental services from Vista Family Dentistry in Waukesha to determine whether they are the right treatment for you. Experienced dental professionals can assess your teeth and recommend the best course of treatment. They will also be able to tell you how long your braces will take to work and what type of braces would be best for you.