As an owner of a restaurant business, it is important to know that over 60 percent of fire accidents that usually happen in drinking and dining establishments in recent years are caused by restaurant and cooking equipment. And the only way to ensure your business is safe from this type of accident is by regularly cleaning ventilation systems and duct work from the buildup of dirt, smoke residue, and grease.
But since most of the exhaust and hood system is not seen immediately, you may find it hard to conduct the cleaning process, especially if you don’t have the experience. So if you want to know more about how is the ventilation hood system cleaned to prevent grease fires, then we suggest you go on reading as we are going to give you some tips in today’s entry.
Why It’s Necessary To Clean The Ventilation Hood System?
Consistent use of kitchen equipment at restaurants and other commercial eating places can lead to the buildup of grease and other highly combustible materials – which leads to unavoidable accidents like grease fire. In the same way, 85 percent of guests won’t visit a restaurant or bar with negative reviews about its cleanliness.
Moreover, an unclean exhaust system can also cause:
- Increased risk of kitchen fire
- Reduced efficiency of air flow
- Creation of unpleasant odors
- Increased bacteria growth
- (And worse) revocation of your business permit and insurance
So it actually makes sense to invest in regular cleaning of kitchen equipment to prevent dangerous accidents and loss of revenues from happening.
How To Go About With The Cleaning Process?
- Make sure that nothing is covering the entryway of the ventilation hood system that might otherwise impede proper air flow.
- Dust the ventilation hood system regularly to prevent the accumulation of large chunks of dust.
- Use a flashlight and inspect for any signs of cracks, openings, or leaks. Then, contact a technician if you spot one and have it fixed immediately.
- Inspect your ventilation hood system regularly so you will be able to detect any signs of grease or material buildup.
- Check the dampers and make sure that they are open and be manually adjusted. Look for signs of shut wedge(s) as this can obstruct the flow of air and potentially compromise the performance of the entire system.
And if you’re not sure how to go about this task, it is recommended to hire the services of a professional hood cleaner like a reputable hood cleaning services in Dallas if your business is located in this part of the country.
Benefits Of Having Your Ventilation Hood System Cleaned
Lastly, here’s the list of benefits you can get after having your ventilation hood system cleaned:
- Ensures the safety of your kitchen from fire accidents.
- Optimum performance of the entire system and contributes to its longevity.
- Less expenses from repairs.
- Lower utility bills since the system is running with greater energy efficiency.
- Reduced health risk of your kitchen staff as they are less exposed from contaminants that can lead to allergies and respiratory problems.